Country fried steak. #merica
My first venture with country fried steak was from a Denny’s, and while it wasn’t the greatest thing I had eaten (as it was midnight after a punk rock concert) it did make me want to learn more about the wonder that is country fried steak.
Years later and many country fried steaks later I became gluten free so I had to make my own gluten free country fried steak with my own gluten free sausage gravy.
My husband and my kids love this recipe and always come back for seconds. They would never know it is gluten free!
Pour your buttermilk into a mixing bowl.
Place all your dry ingredients into a mixing bowl (GF Flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper) and whisk together.
Dip the cube steam into the gluten free flour mixture and cover both sides.
Set aside until all the steaks have been floured.
Next, take your floured cube steaks and dip them into the buttermilk.
You could use whole milk and an egg too.
Dip back in the gluten free flour mixture and coat both sides so the steak is no longer wet.
Cube steak have lots of nooks and crannies so lots of places for moisture to hang out. Try to bend the steak around to get all areas covered in flour.
Place the steak into vegetable oil heated to around 300 degrees.
This picture is one of the oddest pictures I have taken, it looks like the steak is in a gelatinous cube but I am going to go with it!
Cook 3-4 minutes per side and you will have a nice golden country fried steak.
Place on a rack for a few minutes to drain any excess oil.
You can keep the steaks warm in the oven while the rest are cooking.
Serve with a cream or sausage gravy and enjoy!
Gluten Free Country Fried Steak
Delicious easy gluten free country fried steak recipe. Prep Time 15 mins Cook Time 25 mins Servings 6 steaks
- 6 Cube Steaks
- 2 cups Buttermilk Whole Milk + 1 Egg would be ok too!
- 4 cups King Arthur GF Measure for Measure Flour
- Vegetable Oil Enough to fill the pan you are using halfway
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- Pour the buttermilk in a medium sized bowl.
- Add all the dry ingredients (GF Flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper) into another bowl and use a whisk to blend together.
- Dip each cube steak into the gluten free flour mixture and set aside.
- Next, dip the floured steaks into the buttermilk, then back into the gluten free flour mixture and make sure both sides are totally covered in flour and the steak is no longer wet feeling.
- Heat your vegetable oil to roughly 300°
- Cook each steak for 3-4 minutes per side. The steaks will become a nice golden brown.
- Drain your steaks on a baking rack, or strainer for a few minutes to get rid of any excess oil.
- If you are cooking many steaks, then place them in a warmed oven until you are all finished cooking.
- Serve with cream or sausage gravy!