If you are from New England, then you love a good whoopie pie. Those cakey cookies stuffed with some kind of frosting are just delicious.
Making these gluten free could not be easier with this easy hack using a gluten free cake mix.
I have this GF Funfetti cake mix that I want to turn into some whoopie pies.
Basically, you follow the whole egg recipe, but you use 2/3 cup of water instead of the whole cup.
The batter will be thicker than a normal cake batter which is what you want.
Scoop out with a small scoop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Cook the whoopies for 10-12 minutes and they will be golden brown on the bottom. Place on a cooling rack to cool down.
While the gluten free whoopies are cooling it is time to make the filling.
We start by using unsalted butter, powdered sugar and vanilla and blend them all together.
Next we add the marshmallow fluff! Fluff is gluten free!
This marshmallow yumness gives the filling a delicious taste and a great texture which is perfect for gluten free whoopie pies.
Once fully blended the filling will look like this.
Use a pastry bag and fill with the filling.
Place some filling on one side of the whoopie pie, then top with the other cake piece.
Gluten-Free Whoopie Pies Hack
Makes about 12 whoopie pies
- 1 gluten-free cake mix
- Eggs, oil, and water as called for on the cake mix box
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups marshmallow fluff
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the instructions on the box for the whole egg recipe. However, use 2/3 cup of water instead of the full amount called for. This will make the batter thicker, which is what you want for whoopie pies.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake the whoopie pies for 10-12 minutes, or until they are golden brown on the bottom. Place them on a cooling rack to cool.
- While the whoopie pies are cooling, make the filling by combining the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the marshmallow fluff and beat until fully incorporated.
- When the whoopie pies are cooled, use a pastry bag or a spoon to fill one side of each whoopie pie with the marshmallow filling. Top with the other half of the whoopie pie to complete the sandwich. Enjoy!