Chicken and Eggplant Parmesan are classic comfort foods that everyone loves. However, making them gluten-free can be challenging. In this recipe, we use Rice Chex cereal as a breadcrumb replacement, resulting in a healthier and tastier version of this favorite dish.
Bizarre right? It sounds wacky, but it works and is a viable replacement for breadcrumbs.
Before we go off and make Gluten Free Chicken or Eggplant Parm we first need to prepare our Rice Chex for the coating.
Add the Rice Chex, salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil and oregano in a gallon sized Ziploc bag.
Smash the cereal with a rolling pin by rolling it across the cereal. Keep doing this until the cereal is in tiny pieces. When done, place into a medium sized bowl.
Place your eggs and milk in a bowl and use a fork to whisk together.
Line up your bowls so you have flour, egg/milk, then Rice Chex. I always do this part backwards and go right to left. However works for you is fine. Lining them up just helps do each step quickly.
Coat the chicken in flour then dip in the egg and milk mixture. Drain the milk off the chicken, then place into the Rice Chex.
After you have dipped the chicken in flour, then the egg and milk mixture, place in the Rice Chex and coat both sides of the chicken.
Set aside while you work on the rest.
Here is some breaded eggplant. If you look closely you can see the Rice Chex!
Let the chicken or eggplant rest for about 15 minutes before you fry it.
Heat your oil to 325 degrees. Cook the eggplant and chicken for about 3 minutes per side. The chicken will finish cooking in the oven.
Line up your fried eggplant and chicken on a cookie sheet and top with sauce and cheese. I like to use whole milk mozzarella cheese.
Cook in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted and the chicken is cooked through.
Yes! Gluten free Chicken Parm Gluten Free Eggplant Parm, or both!
My husband always makes a Chicken Parm sandwich with his!
Gluten Free Chicken Parm
Prep Time 25 minsCook Time 35 mins Servings 4 servings
- 4 Thinly sliced Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 6 Cups Rice Chex
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Basil
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 3 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 cups King Arthur GF Measure for Measure Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 2 Eggs
- OIl for frying
- Place the Rice Chex, salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil and oregano into a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush the cereal. When crushed, place the cereal mixture into a bowl.
- Pour the milk into a bowl and add the two eggs. Use a fork to whisk them together.
- Add the flour to a different bowl and line your bowls up in order of use. Flour, milk/egg, Rice Chex.
- Place your oil into a deep pan. You will need a few inches of oil in the bottom of the pan. Heat to 325°.
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Coat the chicken in the flour, then dip in the milk, then coat with the Rice Chex.
- Press the chicken into the cereal mixture to make sure it is totally covered.
- Once fully coated place the chicken on a cookie sheet to rest until it is time to cook.
- When all the pieces of chicken are coated let them sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- Place them one at a time into the oil. Fry for about 3 minutes per side. The chicken will likely not be finished cooking but will finish cooking in the oven.
- Pat each piece dry with a paper towel, then place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Top each piece with sauce and cheese. I like to use whole mill mozzarella, but really any cheese will do.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve up with some pasta or my husbands favorite is to make a chicken parm sandwich!
For making Eggplant Parm: I peel the eggplant first, then slice about 1/2″ thick and cut across, not lengthwise. Coat with salt and let the pieces sit for about 35 minutes. Rinse with cold water, then you can follow the same steps as above.
Making gluten-free Chicken and Eggplant Parmesan is easy with this recipe that uses Rice Chex as a breadcrumb replacement. This version of the classic comfort food is healthier and tastier, making it a great choice for any meal. Enjoy this delicious dish with your family and friends!