My family loves sugar cookies. This gluten free version is such a hit nobody ever even knows it is gluten free. My husband and kids would eat this every day if I let them. Very easy recipe, and tastes great. What more could you want?
Cream together sugar and butter. I like to use a hand mixer to make the dough.
Now add your egg and vanilla and beat until they are well blended together.
Add your gluten free flour and xanthan gum and blend together. The dough will have a sandy type of consistency.
The dough will look like this.
Even though the dough looks sandy, if you press it to one side of the bowl you will see it has a good consistency and will form a nice dough.
Press all the dough together and form it into a ball. Place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before rolling out.
I like a rolling pin like this one that has guides. I set the guides to 1/4″ thick which is a good thickness for a sugar cookie.
The other great thing is they will all be the same size and will cook evenly.
Place the dough on the pastry mat, and flour the mat and the dough all over.
Roll out the dough. The rolling pin will roll the dough out to the perfect thickness and now we can cut it.
Dip your cookie cutter in flour. It helps the cookies not get stuck in the dough. You will thank me for that tip!
Lay the cookies out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. They can be close together. These gluten free sugar cookies puff up a little but do not spread out.
Bake the cookies on 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. These cookies are fully cooked. You are looking for golden brown edges, not tops.
Even though the top isn’t golden brown, the bottom is. An overcooked sugar cookie is never fun, so watch those edges to check the cookies readiness.
Once the cookies are fully cooled I load them up with buttercream frosting and I use some gluten free sprinkles to give them a bit of color.
Easy Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
www.myeasyglutenfreelife.com Print Recipe Pin Recipe Prep Time 30 minsCook Time 10 mins Servings 35 Cookies
- 2 cups King Arthur GF Measure for Measure Flour
- 1 Egg
- 2 sticks Salted Butter
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla and blend together with the butter and sugar.
- Pour the flour and xanthan gum into the mixture and blend until you have a sandy textured dough.
- Press the sandy dough together and form a ball of dough. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before rolling out.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and cover the whole dough ball with flour.
- Use a rolling pin with a guide and roll the dough so it is 1/4″ thick.
- Cut your cookies out with a floured cookie cutter and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake for 10 minutes on a 350° preheated oven. Look for golden brown edges.
- Allow to cool before frosting.
To make this dairy free use shortening or coconut oil. You can freeze uncooked cut out cookies and cook them at a later date. I do this all the time and is great when your kids are asking for a cookie but you don’t want to make a whole batch.