I married an Italian.
Lots of new foods have come into my life since then, one of which is the delicious bizarre thing known as gnocchi. Gnocchi is the happy medium for an Irish girl that married an Italian. A pasta made with potatoes. What more could you ask for in life?
Gluten free gnocchi is super easy to make and requires very little skill.
Add beaten eggs and salt to 4 cooked and mashed russet potatoes.
Add GF flour and xanthan gum to the potato and egg.
Here comes the gross part.
Using your hands, combine it all together.
When fully combined the dough will hold together well and will form a ball.
To form the gnocchi, go back to your playdoh days and grab a small bit of dough and roll it into a snake. Then cut the dough into little pieces about 3/4 inch in size.
You can get fancy with them and use a gnocchi board to make pretty stripes and whatnot, or just cut them and leave them as is. I honestly start trying to be fancy then end up going the lazy route. They taste the same.
I toss the gnocchi in a bowl while I make them so they are all ready to toss into a pot of water.
To cook the gnocchi, toss the gnocchi into a pot of boiling water. They only need a few minutes to cook.
When the gnocchi float they are ready to pull out of the water and serve.
Serve the gnocchi with your favorite sauce or in soup!
I love the gnocchi with chicken Marsala.
Easy Gluten Free Gnocchi
5 from 1 vote Print Recipe Pin Recipe Prep Time 15 minsCook Time 2 mins
- 4 Russet Potatoes
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup King Arthur GF Measure for Measure Flour
- 3 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Salt
- Boil the russet potatoes until they are fork tender.
- Drain and mash the potatoes.
- Add the beaten egg and salt to the potatoes.
- Add in the GF flour and the xanthan gum. You may need more GF flour depending on how watery the potatoes are.
- Combine the ingredients into a dough.
- Roll pieces of the dough on a very lightly floured surface into a snake like shape, then cut the gnocchi into 3/4 inch pieces.
- If you want to use a gnocchi board or the back of a fork to form the lines you would do so now. You roll the gnocchi down the fork or board and it makes the lines.
- Boil for about 2 minutes, they are ready when the gnocchi float in the water instead of sink.
This recipe makes a good amount of gnocchi. Simply freeze any you aren’t cooking right away.