One of the first exciting experiences you have during pregnancy is your first prenatal visit. Getting a positive pregnancy test is thrilling, but having your obstetrician talk to you about fetal growth and having that first scan makes it more tangible that a baby is on the way!
With so much excitement, it’s important to write down all the questions you want to ask during your appointment. You’ll be surprised how many questions you think of in between visits, or on the car ride home after your appointment! And let’s not forget what pregnancy does to our memory!
Here are a couple of questions you should ask during your first prenatal visit.
- How much weight should I gain? And at what rate?
- Does my health history point toward an increased risk for certain conditions or complications?
- What prenatal screenings do I need?
- Is there a specific diet I should follow?
- Should I be doing any exercises during pregnancy? What amount is safe?
- Are there any sex restrictions throughout the pregnancy?
- Is it safe to travel throughout my pregnancy? Are there any restrictions?
- What is safe and unsafe regarding beauty? Can I dye my hair? Get my nails done? Get a massage?
- What over the counter medication is safe for me to take? And in what amount?
- (If currently taking any medications) Are they safe? What should I take instead?
- Which prenatal vitamins do you recommend?
- Are there any other prenatal supplements I should be taking?
- What can I take to help ease morning sickness?
- What symptoms should I expect during my pregnancy? What’s normal, and what should I call you about?
- What should I do if I experience cramping, spotting or bleeding?
- Who should I call if I have any more questions?